Alison Haislip Forum
March 21, 2019, 08:48:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Go to AlisonHaislip.com | For questions, email Caleb at caleb [at] alisonhaislip.com.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THE FORUM IS CLOSING!!!  (Read 266 times)
Alison Haislip
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2019, 09:42:05 PM »

I REPEAT...THE FORUM IS CLOSING!!!

I know, I know...This is awful.  But here's the thing...I need to do a MASSIVE overhaul of this site.  I mean...no one can disagree with that, can they??  I HAVEN'T BEEN BLONDE SINCE 2013!!!!

With the clear dominance of social media in our lives, it isn't necessary for me to have a site built the way this one was.  alisonhaislip.com is going to become a page simply where people can find out about my work and find out how to hire me to do more work.  Cause, you know, I like to work.

I'm really sorry to see the forum go, and honestly, it's probably the biggest reason I held off on doing a revamp for so long.  I've been told there's a way to turn forums into google groups now?  Does someone want to figure out how to do that, so this community can stick together???

Most importantly, if there's anything you want to SAVE from this forum, DO IT NOW.  The overhaul will be happening within the next few weeks, so we don't have much time.

As always, thank you ALL for your incredible support over the years.  You've seen me through so many gigs (and so many hair colors), and I appreciate each of you LIKE SO MUCH.

Let the countdown begin...
Alison
Phhhpt

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 10:01:47 PM »

Well, was fun while it lasted.  Undecided

If I can help somehow, lemme know. Been trying to keep the place updated as best as I could, when I could.

Is there a way to save the website as an archive? Quick Google search shows that there are ways to do this (convert it to a series of static HTML webpages maybe?) and then possibly mine the threads for content we'd want to import over to some sort of Google Group (or similar)?

You gotta understand - I got no idea with what's going on on the backend with PHP, etc. so this is outside of my personal know-how. I deal with Digital Collections at my job at the University, but that's more cataloging and editing digital records and digitized items (images, video, audio).

So.... is it possible to save the site?   Undecided

Having problems creating a member account or logging into the forum? Contact site administrator Caleb at caleb [at] alisonhaislip.com
Josh8

Gone But Never Forgotten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 10:43:23 PM »

I have come out of my self imposed retirement to say goodbye.

I had a lot of fun here with you guys and you were my rock when I lost my house in a fire. We even survived the "incident" together that almost destroyed the forums.

So just a quick update on how my life has been since 2016: I moved back to Oklahoma after being unemployed for 3 years. I have a good job now.

I am now one of the moderators of the Korean Drama subreddit.

And with that I will say my final good bye.

Of course it wouldn't be the proper final goodbye without me doing this.
Johnny Oz

Using my force powers, I just made you read this.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »

Oh no!

Please refrain from reading this.
AnthropomorphicPeach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 09:33:04 AM »

i boo you Tongue

off to reddit then?
Phhhpt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 10:53:29 PM »

Alison's Reddit Forum might be the best bet - majority of the posts are images, and theHavocfive (who I believe is Forum Member Havocfive) has been posting the Half Hour episodes and various announcements as they come out.

I've saved some of the webpages so far - a few threads from Everything Else and things like the Alison Video Thread and the various announcement/content posts on the first two pages of the Alison section.

I'm going to try and save as much as I can in regards to Interviews and content (posts about videos, maybe the Alison photo thread, etc.) and see what we can salvage. Some of these posts refer to content that's no longer around - Photobucket stopped allowing folks to post outside of their site, interview sites went down, video sites also went down, etc. - so it'll be touch and go.

Reddit archives threads after a certain period of time (no new posts/comments in the thread) but you can still edit a post. I'm hoping that reference threads (i.e. the Video thread, maybe an Interview/Podcast thread) will be able to continue being updated with Alison's new work, after the Reddit system "archives" it. It seems that as long as the poster is active, they have that ability.

I emailed Caleb and he said that the core (the structure and SQL file) could be saved, but I'm not sure how much of the content (the posts) can be archived.

Basically folks - if you can save anything, I highly recommend you do so, now!

Anybody needs to contact me, my username is boredsenseless34 over on Reddit.

Again, not sure how much we can save, but I'm trying to do what I can for everybody. Undecided
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 12:01:06 AM by Phhhpt » Logged

Having problems creating a member account or logging into the forum? Contact site administrator Caleb at caleb [at] alisonhaislip.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: