Alison Haislip Forum
March 21, 2019, 08:50:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Go to AlisonHaislip.com | For questions, email Caleb at caleb [at] alisonhaislip.com.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Wendy's decided to implement a new "retro" burger package - your feelings on it?
I like it, it's very old fashioned! - 3 (50%)
I hate it, what were they thinking? - 3 (50%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wendy's new burger packaging - good, bad, or WTF were they thinking?  (Read 17197 times)
Phhhpt

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2011, 02:14:26 AM »

Okay, I know not everybody has Wendy's in their state, but you don't really need to be a patron of the chain to pass a verdict on this:

Recently (this month), Wendy's decided to switch over to a new method of packaging their burgers:

Yeah....they wrap'em in wax paper and put them in this cardboard that holds the burger in an upright position. Little thing - this isn't JUST for when you eat at the location, this is also how they put the burgers in your bag when you do drive-thru - JUST like in the photo.

Now, don't get me wrong - I find it old fashioned and I find it sorta a throwback to the 1950s, but at the same time I gotta wonder what they were thinking when they decided on this. I did what everybody else normally does and reached into the bag to snag a fry while driving home, and found myself trying to pull my fingers out of the burger. Additionally, if you live more than a couple minutes away from the burger place, won't the food get cold? I know we're trying to reduce paper waste and the like, but if the burger is wrapped open like that - it'll get cold faster, wouldn't it?

What's your take on it?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:34:13 AM by Phhhpt » Logged

Having problems creating a member account or logging into the forum? Contact site administrator Caleb at caleb [at] alisonhaislip.com
OceanChevy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 02:22:39 AM »

It looks like the white castle burgers packaging... I rarely go to Wendys I'm a McD fan

Nothing is True... Everything is Permitted
carrera4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 02:26:01 AM »

It's similar to what In N Out does. But it's all about cost these days. Less paper, etc.
Phhhpt

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 02:31:00 AM »

My whole thing is - why the hell do they leave'em open like that? If you're eating there, yeah I get it - but if you're heading home and it's a 10-15 minute drive, it's gonna be cold by the time you GET home!

Having problems creating a member account or logging into the forum? Contact site administrator Caleb at caleb [at] alisonhaislip.com
carrera4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 02:40:33 AM »

My whole thing is - why the hell do they leave'em open like that? If you're eating there, yeah I get it - but if you're heading home and it's a 10-15 minute drive, it's gonna be cold by the time you GET home!

Oh yea that happens, fast food has a life expectancy of less than 10 minutes anyway, so eat up.

And dammit, now I really want a burger. I'll have to wait for lunch tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:43:17 AM by carrera4 » Logged
Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 02:59:45 AM »

Staying in, perfectly fine. Plus I like the retro-ish aspect of it.

Take out, not a fan. Though when I take it out, I often eat it in the car so when I do that it wouldn't be a problem. But I rarely do that.

Fortunately McDonald's and Burger King are the places my fast food usually comes from.

"What fun is destruction if no precious lives are lost?" - Kefka (FFVI)

XBOX Live - CrazyCrankle
spartan21385

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 07:07:54 AM »

I will criticize lightly because Wendy's is actually my favorite fast food place. But honestly I think all these places should focus more on making their burgers be... oh I don't know... actual burgers. And not something loosely resembling plywood. lol

I will have been here for 6 years in September! Wow!

www.thesoloalbum.com <-- For Independent Recording Artists!
www.concreteprophet.com <-- Awesome indie band!
Phhhpt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 07:18:13 AM »

Oh, don't get me wrong - I totally agree - I like Wendy's, mainly because it's typically fresh, tasty and usually decently priced (depending on what you get). I also totally agree that these places need to focus more on making burgers that're actual burgers. If it was up to me though, I'd go to the Simply Burgers down the street and get a spicy cajun chicken sandwich with jalapenos, but the two key factors to consider here is 1) Time - like if there's a drive thru or a wait involved, and 2) money. I drop 7-8 bucks at Wendy's and get a double with a small fry and soda, or I can go to Simply Burger and drop that much JUST on the chicken sandwich. *shrugs* Which one is healthier? Probably the chicken - but sometimes it's a matter of how much can you spend too. I'm NOT a fan of McDonald's and yet lately I've been finding myself heading over there when I get a cheeseburger craving or want a quick 2pm Breakfast because for $3.25 I can get 2 McDoubles and a value fry, and that's a meal for me. *shrugs*

Oh, interesting side-note to the whole Wendy's thing - apparently they are no longer using mustard on their burgers. Not sure if they still even carry the stuff or what, but apparently it's just mayo and ketchup on the burgers these days - another "tweak" they made along with the packaging. *shrugs*
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:21:19 PM by Phhhpt » Logged

Josh8

Gone But Never Forgotten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 07:41:28 AM »

I like their chilli
stayawesome

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »

there nuggets are left open... and they some of the best... i'll see how this goes
Mike2010
Noob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »

I think its ok, it's similar to what Nathan's does with its burgers also. They wrap there burgers up like that and then slip it into a gold Nathans wrapper instead of a box. 

Go Big or Go Home!!
Erin

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »

I hate Wendy's burgers so I don't have to worry about this but I think the packaging is very stupid.

Phhhpt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »

All I'm thinking is that they should rethink how they present the burger if you're going through the drive-thru. I'm FINE with the retro-look, I can dig what they're going for with the cardboard holder keeping the burger upright, and I can understand that when they have the burger like that, you've got it prepped for consumption......but is it SO damn hard to maybe wrap the burger properly in wax paper so that it keeps the food warm and prevents spillage during transit if the bag flips over? Just add a freakin' flap on top of the paper and it'll be secure in the holder.....it's simple!

Conroy706

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 07:40:19 PM »

They should just have a top for the box. Then when you are ready to eat you just pop off the top and chow down.

In terms of keeping food warm I think I like A&W's wrappers the best.

jordan110

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »

I don't mind the new look.  But I don't go to Wendy's very often so it doesn't really matter much to me.

jeffpatrick85

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »

They should just go back to this. Keep the hot side hot, and the cool side cool.

Nerd girl, I don't deserve you
I don't get the references you refer to
I love your Lipsmackers and your lack of perfume
I hope to get you home by curfew
Phhhpt

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »

Problem with that is that 1) it produces quite a bit of Styrofoam which ends up in landfills, and 2) that was a custom build for McDonald's afaik, and that costs some serious cash. The wax-paper stuff is biodegradable and because the paper isn't "branded" - easy to obtain from suppliers and probably cheaper too. *shrugs*

Sola

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 12:06:45 AM »

Perfect for in house, terrible for anywhere else. Honestly, thats just dumb. Youll end up having to get way more bags than normal, because you cant stack those things.
Bleedsgreen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 12:24:44 AM »

They should just have a top for the box. Then when you are ready to eat you just pop off the top and chow down.

In terms of keeping food warm I think I like A&W's wrappers the best.

Sonic does the same thing. There are times when the burger is so hot, it burns your mouth. I've never had a cold burger from A&W or Sonic.

Longview Lobo Football

It is said that baseball is only a game. Yes, and the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.
Apocalyptic Mime

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 12:27:26 AM »

Just had Wendy's.  My 'packaging' was the same as it's always been. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: